Sunday 3 November 2013

Gone Girl - Gillian Flynn


 

 

I’ve heard so much hype and good things about this book that when I saw it on Kindle just before I went on holiday that I couldn’t resist. 

I must admit, I struggled to get into it at first but I’m not sure whether that was because I was reading it on my Kindle, as sometimes I do struggle to connect initially when I’m reading things electronically.  I have to admit though, the more I got into it, the more I struggled to put it down.

This is a book that does need to be read quickly. There are so many twists and turns that I think I would have struggled to have remembered what had happened previously if the passage of time had intervened.

It is the story of a woman who goes missing on her fifth wedding anniversary.  Her husband comes home to find her gone with evidence of a struggle in the living room.  The story is told from the viewpoint of the husband, and from past diary entries of the woman which gradually lead up to the day of the abduction.

Right from the beginning, the reader is aware that there is something wrong with this marriage, but it takes a while to find exactly what that is.  Both narrators are in some way unreliable but to say any more would reveal too much of the pIot. 

This book is a master-plan in plotting. The twists were exceptional but in retrospect, clearly signposted and Gillian Flynn made me care about  people who, on pape,r should have been unlikeable.  Definitely one to re-read, to really analyse how she did this.

1 comment:

  1. I really enjoyed it , Susan, although I know others who haven't.

    ReplyDelete

Things They Never Said - First Week in the Big Bad World

  Well, my debut novel Things They Never Said has been out in the real world for nearly a week now and I'm pleased to say that it seems ...