Sunday 11 August 2013

Catching Up


I haven't been around in blogland for a while. July passed me by in a haze of family commitments. With the end of term, Mum's Taxi went into overdrive, going to tournaments and end of year treats for every part of my kids' lives. Social life? Sorry? What's that? I don't have time for one.

This end of year was particularly poignant as my eldest left primary school. It only seems like yesterday when we went for our first visit, sat on tiny chairs whilst we listened to the Headteacher telling us all about the school. But it's not all sad because I'm really happy with the school he's going to and he's so ready to move on to the next stage of his life.

The boys are spending three days a week for most of the holidays playing football, which they love, and which gets them away from the xbox. It also gives me some time to work.

Paid for work has been a bit thin on the ground recently but the other week I had a massive project to undertake. It meant spending 5-6 hours a day staring at a computer but it felt good to be back in a routine again. It also meant that writing went out of the window though, I was so exhausted when I'd finished that working with other words just wasn't an option.

I haven't done much actual writing recently, as I have been really struggling to complete my script for the RNA's New Writer's Scheme. Well it's done now, finally, and I sent it off on Friday with a huge sigh of relief. I can honestly say it's not my best piece of work, and probably needs a lot more doing to it, but for now its the best that it can be and it will be interesting to get some feedback to see where, if anywhere, I go from here with it. It certainly feels satisfying to have it completed as it's a project which was started many years ago (can you believe, it's conception was on a typewriter?!?).

So now I can re-group, get some short stories written and sent out and oh, perhaps find a job?

Hope you're all enjoying the summer, shame the weather has become a bit hit and miss since the lovely weather earlier.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Things They Never Said - First Week in the Big Bad World

  Well, my debut novel Things They Never Said has been out in the real world for nearly a week now and I'm pleased to say that it seems ...