Friday 21 January 2011

The King's Speech

I went to see The King's Speech on Wednesday with some friends. I must admit I was rather sceptical before I went. Sometimes when a film has such rave reviews you go expecting greatness and come back feeeling a little short changed. It was definitely not the case with this film.


I'm sure the film has been reviewed by people much more knowledgeable than myself on the industry but we all know what we like and what we don't like, and yes, I definitely liked this film. As far as the plot's concerned, and compared to other films, on paper there's not alot going on. Although the abdication was a major event in history and probably has changed all our lives even without us realising, because we know what is going to happen I suppose the storyline could have had the potential to be a little dull in places.

Dull it was not. In fact I was gripped all the way through. This came from fantastic characterisation, acting and dialogue.

Colin Firth was brilliant, as his accolades have shown, but so were all the other actors. I particularly loved the part that Geoffrey Rush played and the interaction betweent the two characters was superb; both funny and heart rendering at the same time.  And I have to say that casting Timothy Spall as Winston Churchill was sublime.  He was absoultely brilliant.

The film was funny, serious and compassionate and when he went to make the speech, I think I may have actually stopped breathing for a short while.

I would definitely recommend this film and I might even go again!

All in all it was a marvelous evening out and it was especially lovely to spend some time with friends without the company of husbands and children.  It does you good to step off the hamster wheel every now and again.

Have a good weekend and if you get a chance go and see the film!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Things They Never Said - First Week in the Big Bad World

  Well, my debut novel Things They Never Said has been out in the real world for nearly a week now and I'm pleased to say that it seems ...