Wednesday 13 November 2013

How To Do Everything And Be Happy

It's an interesting concept isn't it?  And one which is much needed in my life,  so I was keen to read this book, written by Peter Jones.
 
I read it on holiday and thought that what he said made perfect sense.  At least while I was on holiday it did, now that I’m back at home, I’m finding some of his ideas incredibly hard to implement, although that is probably more a reflection on me.
The book made me think about what I really want from my life and whilst I was away I was determined to put my writing first, well at least before some of my day to day challenges.  Hasn’t quite worked out that way though.  Must try harder!
One of the recommendations in the book is to have a Boxing Day once a month.  A Boxing Day is a day which you set aside, and when you get up you spend the day doing what you want to do, not what you have to do.  Its fine if that includes work, housework, or even DIY or decorating, as long as you’re doing it out of choice, and you haven’t planned it in advance.
He recommends that you strike out a day in your diary to do this and that a Boxing Day can always be postponed but should never be cancelled.  Now, with the boys, I can’t set aside an entire day but what I’ve decided to do is set aside a day between school hours.  I also need to choose a day when my husband is working out of town, because when he’s working locally he has a tendency to call back at home and ask me to do things for him.  I could always explain the concept to him but I don’t think he’ll take it too kindly when most of the time these days he’s working seven days a week.  Call me a coward but it’s just easier to plan this for a day when he’s not around.
So with that plan in mind, I decided to go for the first Tuesday in every month.  I set a date for the 6th November.  Then I realised that my eldest needed to go to the orthodontist on that day, so I postponed it to the 7th.  Then I was invited to go for an interview for my job on the 7th, so I postponed it until this week as I had to work for the rest of that week.  On Monday I went to the web site skill share and yesterday I had a meeting, so I decided that today was going to be Boxing Day. Yeah!
Half way through yesterday morning my meeting was postponed until today, so Boxing Day was postponed yet again.  Tomorrow I’m working and from Friday and all next week my husband is working in our area, in between redecorating our living room.  At the moment I can’t see a Boxing Day on the horizon, but I will try to get one in before the end of the month if I possibly can!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Things They Never Said - First Week in the Big Bad World

  Well, my debut novel Things They Never Said has been out in the real world for nearly a week now and I'm pleased to say that it seems ...