Wednesday 6 November 2013

Rejection

One thing I've learnt about being a wannabe writer, is that rejection is not a reflection on the person you are.  Perhaps your writing style doesn't suit the editor, or the subject matter of the story isn't quite right for the magazine at the moment.  And remember, one man's meat etc, so while one editor might not want it, it might be just what another is looking for. 

So, whenever a story lands on my mat with a thud, I take a look at it, see how it might be improved and send it right back out again to a different magazine.

The route to publication is based on perseverance. Or so I keep telling myself.

Today I went for an interview for a part time admin job.  It's only ten hours a week, but would fit in nicely with the freelance work I'm doing and still might leave some time for writing.  It was a nice set up, I liked the people I would be working with if I got the job, and as it is a new position there is plenty of scope for making the job your own.

Yet, despite the fact that it is only 10 hours a week, my interviewers told me that they had had a massive response to the advert.  

I felt that I answered the questions well, but as I have learnt from my writing, I have no idea what they are looking for. 

Now I'll have to sit tight until they have made a decision, and if I don't get it, then I will just have to get back on the horse so to speak and start looking for something else.

A little bit of me can't help hoping that this might be the one though, just like when I send out my stories, I hope that this time might just be the one.

What is life without hope?



3 comments:

  1. Good luck with he job and you are right about rejections - when I get one it just spurs me on to write more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck with the job!

    That's so true about the Rs and not giving up :-) x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you ladies, it's your kindness which keeps me going!

    ReplyDelete

Things They Never Said - First Week in the Big Bad World

  Well, my debut novel Things They Never Said has been out in the real world for nearly a week now and I'm pleased to say that it seems ...