Tuesday 11 March 2014

The Perfect Present

I think it’s time for another book review.  This is a book I read in January - The Perfect Present by Karen Swan


This is the third book I’ve read by Karen swan and as ever, she did not disappoint. 

It is the story of Laura, a reclusive but talented jeweller who creates personalised charm bracelets and necklaces.  When a rich man asks her to create the perfect present for his wife, her initial reaction is to refuse.  But her boyfriend’s greatest dream is to buy a beach hut and one comes up just as she is offered an extortionate amount of money to produce the necklace.  Laura feels she has no choice and agrees to the commission.  To gain all the background information she needs to create the personalised charms, Laura has to interview the wife’s family and friends.  Becoming involved in a jet set group changes Laura’s life and causes her question the way she is living.

I loved the characters in this book. It reminded me of a modern Jilly Cooper, as one person who is supposedly out of her comfort zone jet sets with the rich.  But we soon come to realise that Laura isn’t quite who we thought she was.


Although some of the character’s actions in the plot weren’t always believable, I was prepared to overlook them because I was firmly engrossed in the storyline.  This novel transported me into the lives of the characters and was everything I needed to keep turning the pages.  A thoroughly enjoyable read.

3 comments:

  1. Most of my book choices are recommendations, Linda - so thanks for that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have read this too and enjoyed it. I think this was the first of hers I read and then I gobbled up the rest fairly quickly. I felt like I was in very competent hands. I'm just reading Life after Life by Kate Atkinson. Have you read it?

    ReplyDelete
  3. No problem Wendy, hope you enjoy.

    I haven't read Life after Life yet although it is on the reading list. How are you finding it?

    ReplyDelete

Things They Never Said - First Week in the Big Bad World

  Well, my debut novel Things They Never Said has been out in the real world for nearly a week now and I'm pleased to say that it seems ...