I had a busy week last week, revising and resubmitting short stories. This was in an effort not to let January be entirely wasted from a writing point of view.
You see, I’ve set myself a target to submit four stories each month and coming into the last week of the month, I was set to fail miserably. During the month I had only subbed one story, and that had been rejected, along with two others. This left me with only one story out there and that’s been out for a while so is probably a no.
To be honest it sent me into a panic. If I’m not sending stuff out then there really is no hope.
So last week I rejigged my latest rejection and sent it out elsewhere, and revised two other stories which have been rejected before, but which I am hoping are a case of me not finding the right home for them yet.
So technically I achieved my aim last month, even if what I sent out wasn’t new.
I did manage to write one story which is still in its first draft, and I will be working on that this month along with others, but it’s a pretty poor show.
In my defence, January was a difficult month, settling into my new job. Apart from a new routine, it’s been mentally challenging so the last thing I’ve felt able to do when I come home is to either write or edit.
This month, I aim to send out four stories again – hopefully sending out stories more quickly than they are rejected, so I can build up my submissions. Some of them this month might even be new material.
Motto for February – must do better!