Friday 28 June 2013

Write It Down!

I’m incredibly behind on my submission to the New Writer’s Scheme at the RNA this year.   In January I decided that I would revamp a book I started many years ago, because the story has stayed with me and I thought it would be good to complete it.
 
However, because my writing was in its infancy when I started to write it, I have found that I have had to do a full re-write rather than an exercise in editing.  I’ve struggled to maintain any kind of momentum and have written it in fits and starts with times of no writing at all in between.
 
Yesterday I finally finished the first draft – hoorah!  But it does require a serious edit and I’m running out of time.   I’m going to concentrate on doing the best I can with it during July and then send it off.  It won’t be to the standard that I would like, but at least I’ll get some feedback.
 
I still need to write a synopsis (yeuck) and think of a title.   I was running through possible titles in my mind the other day as I concentrated on some mundane domestic task.  I came up with a brilliant idea, but because I thought it so good, I didn’t write it down.  How could I possibly forget it?? 
 
Well, you know what’s coming next don’t you?  Two hours later the title had been completely erased from my mind.  I struggled to come up with something else, but nothing compared to the sparkling brilliance of my first title came to mind – well, at least I don’t think so. 
 
Then, yesterday, I had a sudden flash of inspiration and now I have a title – but I have absolutely no idea whether it’s better or worse than the original or even if it’s the same.
 
Lesson to self:  WRITE IT DOWN!
 
This is my third year as a member of the RNA, and although I haven’t had a chance to attend any of the meetings, the value for money for me comes in the feedback you receive on a completed novel.
 
So by the time I receive the feedback on this one I shall have three novels which could potentially be edited and sent out. 
 
The trouble is, I haven’t had the time to edit any of the previous two because I’ve been concentrating on the next one.  So next year, I’ve decided not to continue my membership and concentrate on the three existing.  It’s a bit of a shame, because I like the challenge of the submission, but there’s no point in having those manuscripts sitting in a drawer is there? The downside is that when I want to rejoin, I’ll have to camp on the website when the RNA opens its applications, as the competition to join the scheme is fierce!

2 comments:

  1. Every writer should have a notebook handy at all times to capture those flashes of inspiration - but most of us aren't that organized! Don't worry, your perfect title will return one day, almost certainly when you're not within reach of pen and paper, and then all you'll have to do is try to remember what you wanted it for ...
    But a completed first draft is still an achievement to be proud of. Good luck with it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations on having three books ready with feedback. It sounds a good plan to miss a year and focus on them.

    ReplyDelete

Things They Never Said - First Week in the Big Bad World

  Well, my debut novel Things They Never Said has been out in the real world for nearly a week now and I'm pleased to say that it seems ...